Tuesday 16 August 2022

Where’s a Good Church

On Saturday, Lorna and I met with my son Steve and daughter-in-law Deb for a picnic in Sackville NB. This is halfway between our cottage and their home.  It turned out to be a very nice day all around, weather wise as well as company wise.  It was great to get together.  We had the picnic at the Visitor Information Centre in Sackville – a picnic table in the shade.  After lunch Lorna and I went for a walk on the trail in the connected Waterfowl Park and managed to find the covered bridge.  All in all, a very pleasant day. 

While I was in the Visitor Information Centre, I picked up a couple of pamphlets for churches in Sackville.  One was for the Salem Baptist Church and one for Sackville United Church - see below.  

There is quite a contrast between the two pamphlets and, although I have not visited either church, both churches likely have some differences in their worship and activities.  As the saying goes, you only have one chance to make a first impression, so here is my first impression of each of the churches based on the pamphlets.  First, let me say that both churches are making an effort to engage people by having the pamphlets available at the Welcome Centre. 

The Baptist Church is apparently all about family.  Worship is only one, possibly minor, part of what this congregation is about.  They let you know in great detail all that they are involved with and all they have to offer every member of the family.  It would appear that family is the traditional two parents (a father and a mother) with two children and an additional member, possibly a grandfather or uncle.  There are programs and activities that every member of the family can participate in.  However, I did find it surprizing that although there is a “Ladies Fellowship” there is no equivalent for the men (Gentlemen).  It is a bit surprizing that worship does not seem to be front and center in what they have to offer.  They do let us know that the preaching will be practical. 

The United Church, on the other hand, has very little information about the church and what it has to offer people.  Rather than programs and information on worship, it provides some adjectives to describe themselves; warm, vibrant, inclusive progressive, affirming, community, faith.  It does let you know that they have something on Sunday morning – which I am sure is worship even though it is not stated. 

If I did not come with any presuppositions about what a United Church or a Baptist church might be about, what would my reaction be?  Of course, that would not have been the case twenty or even ten years ago, but today more and more people are completely unaware of church and what these two denominations probably entail.  If I had a traditional family with children at home, I would probably try out the Baptist Church and would probably be interested in all the activities and programs.  The worship service might also be lively and uplifting and I would likely be warmly welcomed and not have to become familiar with how to maneuver through the service.   

The United Church would not give me much information to entice me into seeing what the congregation was about.  The adjectives might catch my attention and. If I was curious, I might check it out.  But I think that what the people are looking for today is probably community.  I don’t know from the pamphlet what the United Church would offer as a community that I could join and based on the adjectives; they probably are a welcoming community which I would feel a part of.  However, there is no way to tell from the information provided. 

I invite you to reflect on which of these churches you would be likely to explore and why that would be.  If you are a member of a church congregation now reflect on how your experience of that church matches with what is offered in these pamphlets.










No comments:

Post a Comment