Tuesday 14 June 2016

Where's Your Home 2

Last week I wrote about home and asked where your home is.  My sermon this week built on that theme.  The Gospel reading for the 3rd Sunday after Trinity has the Gospel reading from Luke 15 on the parable of the lost coin and the lost sheep (note at churches here in P.E.I. we are following the Book of Common Praise and not the Revised Common Lectionary). 

In my sermon I propose that we are all searching for our true home which is reclaiming our relationship with God or as it is stated in the principles of A.A. a power greater than ourselves.  We often don’t know what it is that we are missing in our lives until we experience it or at least get a hint of what is possible.  Paul says in 1 Corinthians, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known”. We are truly only glimpsing through a glass darkly what that relationship will be like. 

As I noted last week when I first truly experienced Anglican worship for the first time I knew I had come home.  There have been experiences of Anglican worship since then which haven’t always lived up to the promise of that first experience.  However, I know without a doubt that the Anglican Church is my religious home. 

What that first experience and subsequent ones have given me is a glimpse of what my faith enables me to know that ultimate relationship will be like.  In my book, The Ego and the Bible, I interpret the myth of the biblical creation story which as a mythopoeic effort to understand our separation from God.  We no longer walk with God in the cool of the evening.  We have been expelled from or as I like to say strongly encouraged by God to leave our earthly paradise.  We were in a preconscious state of union with God.  However, God gave us the gift of consciousness represented by the apple from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. 


The journey into consciousness and to wholeness one in which we travel towards that re-union with God which will, I believe, occur when our time on this earth has run its course.  In in meantime I hope that the glimpse through the glass that we each experience may become a little less dark.  Blessings.    

No comments:

Post a Comment