Tuesday 4 October 2016

Farewell to P.E.I.

Yesterday, Lorna and I wrapped up our time this summer with our church community at St. Alban’s, Souris and St. George’s, Montague in a very satisfying way.  I presided at a Holy Eucharist (Book of Common Prayer of Course) at St. Georges which Lorna attended.  They surprized us with lovely framed sketches of the two churches as a farewell and appreciation for our contributions to the community this summer.  I was quite moved and appreciate the gesture.  They will be lovely additions to the cottage and bunkie.  

In the afternoon I presided at the second annual Blessing of the Animals at St. Alban’s.  This was attended by some live people and live animals and many stuffed animals that had arrived at the church earlier in the week and had taken up temporary residence around the church at various places such as the organ, the pulpit and in every window ledge.  I blessed all the animals, included the inanimate ones and we remembered some who had departed this life including a long list of animal companions (pets) that Lorna has had up to it point in her life.  Lorna would like to have discussions about a new animal companion but I have so far resisted spreading my Christian charity that far.  
Following the service we had a pot-luck at our cottage and had a very congenial time with people from St Alban’s.  It was a wonderful day and way to wrap up that part of this year’s P.E.I. experience.  We are heading out for Ontario later this week and have a lot of food and drink to consume before we leave as well as some packing up to do indoor and outdoor—I will do my part with all the fervour I can muster.   We will be sorry to leave this part of God’s creation but Ontario does call with our other church family at St. John’s by the Lake and our new Rector Jim Innes, as well as our choir, the Ausable Singers, and Spiritual Direction at Huron University College plus, plus.


I hope everyone has a happy and blessed Thanksgiving next Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment