Wednesday 16 October 2019

Give Thanks in All Things



Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian Friends which we celebrated on Monday.  We jump the gun on the United States in this one and perhaps on other things as well – but I won’t go there today.

It is a time where it is especially appropriate to give thanks and as I have said previously, we can give thanks in all things even when it is hard to give thanks for some things. Lorna and I have had a safe journey home – or I should say to our Ontario home from our Prince Edward Island home.  It was our seventh summer at the cottage – which is shocking.  Both the years and this summer have gone by in no time it seems.  Time must be speeding up – it can’t be that I am getting older – I just won’t look to closely in the mirror.  But it is good to be back here in Parkhill and find that everything was in good order – something to give thanks for indeed.  Our trip home was uneventful except for our effort to find hwy 407 – I do wish that the Ministry of Transportation would install some road signs to get to the 407 (which is a toll road that bypasses Toronto).   The Ontario government sold hwy 407 some years ago to private corporation which I didn’t agree with at the time – talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  Oh well, this is supposed to be about giving thanks and not about griping or complaining. 

Remembering to give thanks – to show gratitude in all things is something that we can all strive for.  I believe that if we are able to do this through practice it will become second nature and will be a way of having joy in our lives.  I have not been able to do that yet and have to remind myself to give thanks for all that God has given me and to give thanks regardless on what is happening in my life - giving thanks in all things.  I find it hard to do when things don’t go the way I expect them to and people don’t live up to my expectations.  I do find that frustrating to find the universe is not set up to meet my needs all the time. 

As someone – I believe it was Julian of Norwich – said, all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.  I could add that it often seems just not yet.  However, be thankful in all things.

Blessing on your journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment