Tuesday 17 December 2019

Joy to the World


We continued our celebration of Advent with Sunday past being the third Sunday of Advent.  In addition to the first two Advent candles for Hope and Peace, we lit the third candle representing Joy.  This candle is different from the other two as well as the fourth candle which we will light next Sunday – those being purple/violet.  The violet represents preparation and repentance in anticipation of the birth of the Christ Child.  The third candle is pink which is the liturgical colour for joy.   This Sunday is also called Gaudete Sunday, Gaudete being the Latin word for rejoice. 
For me, joy has been a somewhat challenging concept to understand.  It’s not that I did not and do not experience joy but I have pondered what it is.  I have wondered what the difference is between joy and happiness.  I was aware there is a difference but I was not sure what that actually was.  One definition I found on-line addresses the difference:
Joy and happiness are wonderful feelings to experience, but are very different. ... It comes when you make peace with who you are, why you are and how you are, whereas happiness tends to be externally triggered and is based on other people, things, places, thoughts and events.
This does capture the sense that resonates with me.  There is a sense that joy is not related to specific experiences or events which can result in the sense of happiness.  Happiness, then is dependent on external events which may or may not result in happiness.  Joy is a reflection that state of being where you are right with yourself and with the world and, I dare say, with God.    What comes to mind as I write this is the Shaker hymn, the Gift to be Simple, “when we find our selves in the place just right, 'twill be in the valley of love and delight.”   To be right with myself and with God is truly joyful.   
I also came across this reflection on joy by The Rev. Kim Jackson, an Episcopal priest based out of Atlanta, Georgia:
I watched some children play hide-and-seek at a party recently. The little girl turned away, squeezed her eyes closed, and counted. Then, with a loud giggle, she spun back around. The look on her face when she turned was one of pure joy and excitement as she anticipated finding her friends.
We are invited this day to turn our hearts towards God. May we do so with great anticipation and find joy in discovering that God is ready to be found.
May you be blessed with joy on your Advent journey to Bethlehem.


image.png

No comments:

Post a Comment