Wednesday 23 June 2021

High Tech and High Touch

Last Friday, Lorna and I “attended” the graduation ceremony for our oldest grandchild, Thomas.  Of course, in this time of the COVID-19 pandemic we did not attend the ceremony in person.  It was held by the all-pervasive ZOOM on the internet.  It was wonderful to be able to be part of this event as we were about 2000 km away at the time at the cottage in PEI and would not have been able to attend otherwise.

This experience brought to mind a phrase that was popular back in the long-ago time when the internet was just beginning to come into common use.  This was probably in the early 80’s – that’s the 80’s of the last century and not the 1800’s although it might as well have been it seems so long ago.  That phrase was “high-tech and high touch.”  As I recall the idea behind the concept of high-tech/high-touch was that technology would bring new opportunities for all the world to be in touch in new and wonderful ways.  It would bring a world of possibilities for people to connect with others regardless of where they were.

I haven’t heard the phrase in many years but there have been many developments in social media such as blogs - I have one for some time now http://anotherfoolforchrist.blogspot.com/ but blogs are old news and have almost gone the way of rotary dial telephone.  There is also Facebook which is not as old but is now the realm of old fogies.  There are things such as ticktock or is that Tiktok which I know nothing about and the all-pervasive twitter which Donald Trump made famous for misusing until he was banned from it.  I am able to say I have never tweeted and in my darker moments have thought that those who tweet are twits.  But some might say in response don’t knock it until you try it.

The high-tech part of the prognostication seems to have been fulfilled with a vengeance.  However, I am not so sure about the high-touch part.  Having worshipped at the temple of the great god Zoom, I am aware of the limitations of the touch when we meet in this or similar media.  It does allow us to touch others regardless of where they are in this wide world.  However, the touch is not what I would call high.  There are limitations to meeting this way and on social media in general – at least in my somewhat limited experience.  However, I have attended conferences, workshops, worship services and meetings.  I have even co-led a few workshops via Zoom.  I have even entertained a group of people on Zoom.  I can conclude that the touch is not that high – certainly not as high as in person.  At the moment we are in quarantine at the cottage and there is very little touch allowed outside my bubble so I am grateful for all the touch available via the internet.  I will continue my exploration of the touch of high-tech next week.

May you be blessed and keep in touch on your journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment