Saturday 9 March 2019

Growing The Rule of Life



One of the practices I am engaged in at the moment is following a study series by the Society of St. John the Evangelist on Growing the Rule of Life.  It is a six-week study which is offered in video format and can be found at https://www.ssje.org/growrule/.  I have signed up for the program which is sent to me by email daily.  Today is my third day into the study and I am finding it quite engaging and helpful so far partly because the videos have been quite short and to the point.

The first three have dealt with what a Rule of Life actually is.  To summarize it is, to use the term offered in the video, a template for how to structure your life.  It can allow you to put your life in balance and to be conscious of how your life is unfolding on a day-to-day basis.  Another metaphor that is used in the video is a nozzle on a hose which allows the water (which I understand to represent your life energy) to be focused and to be directed on the thing that you want to direct it on. 

Energy can take many forms.  The most prevalent and obvious form in our society is money.  How you spent your money will tell you where your priorities are.  But energy can be manifested in other ways; how you spend your time and what thoughts you have and what you support and determine what kind of activities you undertake as well as who you support politically. 

As the presented Br. Curtis Almquist notes, we only have one life to live and are actually only sure that we have today, how are we going to live that life.  The rule of life enables you to do it consciously and not just exist.  I am reminded of a commercial from many years ago that had the tag line, If I only have one life, let me live it as a blond.  I checked it on Google and it was a commercial for Lady Clairol.  That really sums up the challenge that the Rule of Life is addressing.  Am I going to live my life as a blonde, in effect chasing after the values that that represents or am I going to seek something which may be more valuable?  I do only have one life, so how am I going to live it?  That is the journey we are all on.

Blessings on you journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment